What is it? The Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology is a Scottish Government initiative being led by VisitScotland, and supported by partners including Creative Scotland, Museums and Galleries and Scotland and many more – see the full list here.
The Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology began on 1 January 2017 and ends on 31 December 2017 and builds on the momentum generated by the 2016 Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design as well as previous years including Homecoming Scotland 2014.
What will it do? Through a series of exciting events and activity, the year will highlight and celebrate both our tangible and intangible heritage – our buildings, visitor attractions, archaeological sites as well as our diverse stories, traditions and culture, all with a focus on engagement and participation.
What are the YHHA themed year objectives?
- Promotion: Raise the profile of Scotland, showcasing our distinctive history, heritage and archaeology with a co-ordinated marketing and communications programme.
- Celebrate: Encourage and develop opportunities for the celebration of the key themes of the year within the tourism and events sectors.
- Participate: Inspire the people of Scotland and our visitors to participate in activity developed for the Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology, with particular emphasis on attracting new audiences and spreading engagement across the country.
- Collaborate: Encourage collaborative working between the sectors represented by Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology themes and wider tourism sector.
- Business Engagement: Encourage tourism businesses and the wider business community to engage with the year and capitalise on opportunities by developing new products and services, and growing existing
How can businesses get involved?
- Read the guide to the themed year for an overview of potential activity
- Get involved in the themed year via social media and dedicated hashtags
- Download the YHHA logos to use in your own materials and on your website
- Access and share a range of digital guides with visitors, including a Scottish Castles trail, a step by step guide to discovering your Scottish ancestry, a timeline of Scottish literature
- Access free, dedicated YHHA images via the Digital Library (register first – also free)
- Find pre-prepared promotional wording to help you promote the year to your visitors
- Download bespoke adverts and banners to include on your website and in your social media
- Capitalise on ancestral tourism for visitors by downloading the Ancestral Tourism toolkit
Find out more about how you can get involved in this year’s themed year and access VisitScotland resources here.
Find out more from EventScotland.